Saturday, August 21, 2010

What Comes Through Your Door?

So Monday night I was doing the last bit of cleaning for the night when I noticed something at the bottom of our front door. Initially I thought I saw the black stripping that goes around the door, it looked like it had come off a bit and was hanging out around our door. Then I looked closer, and to my horror I could see that it was a snake that was between our door and door frame and it was partially coiled out on the door. It was all I could do to keep from screaming. I of course went and immediately got James to come take care of it. I also grabbed the cramera, because of course no one would believe me if I told them that a snake came through my CLOSED front door, so I had to have proof. So here it is. This picture is zoomed in and you can see the snake between our white door frame and white door, and you can see the bottom of the door as well. When I first saw him he was sticking out a lot more than this.
So James went through out back porch to go to the outside of our front door to see if he could see him there. He told me to see if I could get it to come out. So I grabbed a pencil and started poking it in hopes that it would slither it's way out...but instead he stayed right where he was but he did snap out at me.....which scared me to death, and yes I did scream! Well since that didn't work James got the lid to one of our storage bins and opened the door from the inside and scooted him out. Man was this a mean snake. He tried to strike at James three or four times while James was trying to get him away from the front porch. The next two pictures are him on the railing just outside our door.


After the snake was out of the house James and I got online to find out what kind of snake it was...and it's called a "Speckled King Snake". He was probably as thin as a pencil and about 12 to 18 inches long. The next day we called management and they came and fixed our sealing around our door, so hopefully we should no longer have any unwelcomed visitors.
Below are just fun pictures. James is so cute with Amelia when it comes to bed or nap time. He always gives her a horse ride to her room, which makes it fun.


This is coming from out hall way to our kitchen...of course this is thanks to Carlie and Richard!!


Here's our living room.





So James and I have been discussing since we got here whether or not we should go get an entertainment center, in the mean time we stuck our T.V. here on our counter. Now we both like it there and have decided to keep it for now.



The mirrors our now much straighter, we got some stickie things to get them to stay. Once again I have to thank Richard and Carlie for making it look so good!















2 comments:

  1. Marci I was looking at blogs and came across yours! I am glad that you made it to Mississippi and that you are enjoying it! Our blog is private but e-mail me if you would like an invite. Leslie Mortensen
    goopitter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. we had a snake come in our apartment when we first moved here too! Crazy, atleast you know how it got in and glad they were able to fix it. I am sure that wont be the last critter you will come in contact with while you are down here.

    ReplyDelete